Short Story: Phil Holland is a Director and Director of Photography based out of Los Angeles, California and has shot exclusively
in the 4K and 4K+ arena for several years. He primarily works in the world of Feature Films, Commercials, UHD
Broadcast, and VFX heavy productions. Phil is focused on cutting edge cinema technology and creating compelling
images. Prior to becoming a full time Cinematographer Phil worked at Rhythm and Hues Studios from 1999-2010
as their Digital Imaging Specialist; a job he created that focused on Photography, Cinematography, Digital Color, Film
Scanning, Laser Recording, and other more creative aspects of production for many films and studios.
Phil also contributess to the Motion Picture Industry in furthering the advancement of technolgy and contributing to the education of aspiring industry professionals. Currently he instructs the "Digital Imaging for Live Action Visual Effects and Games" course at The Gnomon School of Visual Effects on weekends. He also occassionally instructs at REDucation and slightly more advanced international RED Camera Workshops. Over the years Phil has instructed Quick Sketching and Character Design at various Gnomon, ConceptArt.Org, and Massive Black workshops as well.
Notable Visual Effects Accomplishments:
- Contributed to several Academy Award Winning and Nominated Films (Narnia, Golden Compass, Life of Pi)
- Created and programmed unique tools to automate Scanning and Recording of Motion Picture Film.
- Developed software, pipeline, and performed Digital Color Correction and Grading.
- Developed Cross Polarized Texture Photography pipeline and standards
- Created and programmed "PanOrganizer" rigs and software used for on set HDRI capture for image based lighting.
- Best Cinematography "Illusion" - Beverly Hills Film Festival 2013
- Best Cinematography "Addicted" - Los Angeles Cinema Festival of Hollywood 2013